ROUNDS is a REAKTOR based synthesizer by Native Instruments that combines digital and analog synth sounds with complex sequenced sound shifting capabilities.
Not a lot of people know about this synth, which is why I am writing this article. This synth is super flexible and it blurs the line between sound design and advanced sequencing.
In this article I will show you how to create authentic EDM pump music using ROUNDS. I will be using SoundBridge for this production.
Open SoundBridge and follow the steps given below:
- Open soundbridge on your PC/Mac and create two midi tracks.
- On one of the MIDI tracks use Battery as the instrument and on the other one use ROUNDS.
Once you have done so your screen should look something like this.
- Set the BPM to 130.
- In the battery track, program 4 kick hits on the quarter note and quantize. Loop it for 8 bars.
PS: I am using ‘Best of FM7 kit’ from Battery
It will look and sound something like this:
- Open the VST and make the adjustments according to the picture shown below.
You can also download the patch from here.
- In the VST track, program these 4 notes as shown below. Also, extend it for the same 8 bars as the kick.
It should sound like this:
- Now put a SoundBridge EQ plugin on the VST track and cut the frequencies as shown below around 1K.
- Put a compressor on It in order to side chain it using the kick sound. Use the Battery track as the side chain input and experiment with the settings.
It should look something like this:
Now the session is ready and it will look something like this:
The final product sounds like this:
Overall ROUNDS is an amazing soft synth, which has a unique sound with many applications. So don’t be afraid to experiment and keep making awesome music.